Kitchel House sits on the north side of the Academy Park at the corner of Weybridge and College streets. In 1867 College President Kitchel built this grand house in the Italianate style of the grade school (now Twilight Hall) rising across the street. It is a great frame block enlivened by a pedimented entry pavilion, bracket-borne eyebrows and cornice, and a capping belvedere with round-arched windows. In 1891 the college utilized the house as Battell Hall, its first women's dormitory. After serving the local Middlebury community as a nursing home for many years, the building was bought by the College and extensively restored in 2011. Today, it is the home of College Communications.